November 25, 2008

Death of a Hero


My granddad passed away on Sunday the 23rd. This past week has been emotionally charged for me. My granddad was rushed to the hospital last week, and everyday I felt feelings of hope for him-even though I knew inside that the end had come. I was asked to keep the rest of the family informed of daily news. I felt terrible delivering bad news day after day. There was no easy way to say that someone we all loved dearly was dying.

While he will be missed, I feel a great sense of peace because I know that he his no longer in pain. He was 91 years old. He lived a very full life and was loved by so many people. My grandma and all their kids were there with my granddad this past week. I can only imagine the feeling of love my granddad had when he looked around his room.

And for his services, all of his children, and most of his grandchildren and great-grandchildren will be there. My brothers are flying in from all over the world to be there this Saturday. The kids in my family haven't all been together for 4 years now. I am so touched at the distance so many are willing to travel. I have such a wonderful and supportive family. Though this weekend will be full of great sorrow with the loss of our granddad it will also be full of joy with the reunions of family.

Josh, thank you so much for your amazing support and patience during this time and the weekend to come. I know everything around us would resemble a bomb site if you weren't here to help pick up the pieces. Thank you for giving me breaks to regroup at those times I almost broke. And thank you for understanding my emotional roller coaster. I am so blessed to have you as my partner.

4 comments from people we love:

Meredith said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.

chelle said...

I am so sorry. I am glad you have the wonderful man you have at your side. m

Kaydi Paxman said...

Chrystal, I'm so sorry to hear about your Granddad's passing. Give my love to all of your family!

Ashley Knudson said...

Chrystal, I am so sorry, it is hard to lose someone you love. You are in my thoughts!