January 23, 2012

Be Healthy

This morning Josh came home. We started talking about health, and our desire to improve our diet. We don't eat bad. Most of the time we do eat healthy. But there is always room for improvement.


So Josh said "Starting tomorrow ... ". I said "Not tomorrow. There are too many tomorrow's. We'll start today." We already have a kitchen full of food that we can eat. We didn't even need to go shopping. This was something that made me feel great right away. We don't have to clean out our cabinets and refrigerator. We have healthy food surrounding us. And looking around, I really don't see anything that needs to be thrown out. I just can't make cookies for a while.

Our problem is, well MY problem, is sugar. I love sugar. Especially sugar that comes surrounded by chocolate. Like hot chocolate, cookies, or candy. I'm in love with it all. And I realize that I probably really love the sugar not just because it tastes good, but because I don't get enough sleep and the sugar is a great pick-me-up.

In my favor is that I really don't eat a lot of flour products on my own. I normally have a couple of slices of bread when it's fresh from the oven, that's it. Or I'll have a flour tortilla with my quesadilla or bean burrito. Even that has recently changed to wheat tortillas. I just don't crave the breads. I also don't enjoy fast food. This is to my great benefit as well.

Josh loves sugar and fatty foods (like chips). He loves his soda and has a sweet tooth as bad as mine. Plus, he loves fast food. But he'll eat just about anything. He's not picky with his fruits or veggies. And he knows how to whip something up in the kitchen with random foods that are just delicious!

So --- we begin. I'll be doing basically a South Beach diet for a couple of weeks. I need to clear my system of sugar cravings. After a couple of weeks of that, I'll do Paleo. I think Josh is going Paleo, or something like it.

I'm excited. It's so much easier to rid your life of extra foods when other people in the family are on board. The boys don't get a vote. They are on board with whatever it is that we decide.

I don't think I'm going to see much of a weight loss from this. As I said, I already eat pretty healthy. But I always feel so much better when I'm fueling my body with nothing but the good stuff. And it will be great to be a better model for the children of good eating decisions.

We'll see how this goes. But day 1 is a HUGE success.

0 comments from people we love: