January 20, 2012

Index Card Journal

As much as I would love to be that awesome mother who writes down everything her children do, and who has a bajillion photos of her children ... I'm not. I've forgotten the things I would never forget. And my camera makes rare appearances at best - simply because it is so slow and frustrating to use.


So this year I have vowed for a change. As the new year was approaching, I went to the store and bought several packets of 4x6 index cards along with a pretty purple box to store them in. This box full of empty index cards sits on top of my nightstand accompanied by a pen.

Each night before I go to bed I take out a card. I write the date on the left side of the card and the day of the week on the right. And then I write out some of the key things that happened that day. I write about the funny things Maddox says, what Cody's doing in school, Zackary's time with friends, and anything else that is going on in the family or around the house.

So far, I haven't missed a day. Right now these cards feel like they are being filled with nothing extraordinary. Just our ordinary lives. But I know that when I look back in a few months or at the end of the year, some of these cards are going to be magical and cherished.

I'm documenting our lives the best I can right now. It takes 5 minutes. It's simple. The memory is fresh. I think this may be one of the best traditions I've started in our home.

0 comments from people we love: