June 1, 2008

Koosh Ball

About seven years ago I had a "summer/winter break" boyfriend, Eric. While he was here for the summer he took me to meet his best friend, Josh. Josh was this cute, goofy guy that was demonstrating (alone) how he could lay in his bed with a girl and clumsily throw a Koosh Ball in a way that could lead to a "spontaneous" make-out. It was so hilarious. I instantly liked Josh.

Eric took off to school for his Fall Semester as i began my Fall Semester at NAU. Little did i know that cute, goofy Josh would be in my Astronomy class that semester. I needed a babysitter for Cody that semester while i was in Symphony Orchestra and asked Josh if he knew anybody. He had after all, worked at Forest Highlands (a gated neighborhood) in the kids recreation department for 4 years. To my surprise, Josh offered to watch Cody for me a couple days a week. So between class and babysitting Josh and i were seeing each other 4 days of the week.


We quickly became friends and started doing our Astronomy work together. Okay, i did the work and Josh copied my papers. During our first "dates" we would drive up the San Francisco Peaks or out to Lake Mary and literally map the stars. Again, this was mostly me mapping and labeling the names of the stars while Josh copied. Though there was definite chemistry between us, these "dates" were innocent.

As the semester was coming to an end and registration had begun for Spring Semester, i was shocked to find out that Josh was also taking the 8:00 am Hinduism class that i had signed up for. What a great coincidence . . . or so i thought. Josh now admits that he was less than excited to sign up for that class - but that's a hilarious story that only he can tell. The semester had ended and you could say that we were dating now. It didn't seem to matter that he had a girlfriend and i was sort of dating his best friend. Josh picked up Eric from the airport for Winter Break and broke the news that he and i were now dating. I guess it didn't go too well, but it ended up working out in the end.

Another semester came and went, Winter Semester started, and Josh started to fall in love with . . . Cody. (you thought it would be me? lol) I was sort of the prize that came with Cody. I was a bit stubborn, too independent, and liked to keep in my own little shell. Josh refused to give up on me and wouldn't let me push him away. We had tons of fun wrestling and beating the crud out of each other with Sock'em Boppers.

We finally came to realize that we were in love, and i told Josh something he definitely did not want to hear. I told him i had a child, and Cody was quickly becoming attached. If he didn't want to get married that was fine, but i wasn't going to date him long-term. I told him it didn't take 5 years to decide if you loved someone enough to marry them. Um yea; that went well.

A couple more months passed - then he proposed on Christmas Eve 2002. We were married May 31, 2003 at Lowell Observatory here in Flagstaff. We figured that Astronomy brought us together for love so it should bring us together for life. Wow, that sounded corny! Anyway, it's been a crazy and terrific 5 years. We are each others best friend. We compliment each other and we have so much fun together. We are the strength for the other's weaknesses. Almost everyday is filled with affection, love and understanding. I am so blessed and fortunate to be married to Josh. He's such an understanding, funny, caring, hardworking, spoiling, smart - okay, you get the point; this list keeps on going. We went on a date last night and couldn't believe that it had already been 5 years. We have grown so much and come so far since the night that cute, goofy guy tossing a Koosh Ball stole my heart.


In case you're wondering what happened with Eric, he was the best man at our wedding. Told you it worked out in the end!

5 comments from people we love:

Stephanie said...

Happy Anniversary you guys! Great story too!

Rachael said...

Happy Anniversary! Here's to many more.

Meredith said...

Awwww Happy Anniversary!

Jen-ben said...

ahhh, that's so sweet Chrystal!
P.S. I think you have my yahoo address that I never check- mine is jenfauset@gmail.com

MoM K said...

Congratulations on five years! I like your blog!