January 21, 2012

Saturday is a Special Day ...


Saturday

Saturday is a special day.
It’s the day we get ready for Sunday:
We clean the house, and we shop at the store,
So we won’t have to work until Monday.
We brush our clothes, and we shine our shoes,
And we call it our get-the-work-done day.
Then we trim our nails, and we shampoo our hair,
So we can be ready for Sunday! (Children’s Songbook,196).

On Saturday's, this is what you can expect at our home. Saturday is the day we get ready for Sunday. The house gets cleaned the best we can for the day. And the bonus for the children? They get a whole day off, Sunday, from having any chores to do.

The boys clean their rooms while I wash all their clothes. They scrub their bathroom while I'm cleaning my room and bathroom. The kitchen is cleaned, floors vacuumed and mopped. The house is dusted, trash cans all emptied. The beds are all nicely made. The boys lay out their church clothes and scripture bags so we don't have the stress of trying to get all the pieces together on Sunday morning. We all shower and bathe. I practice the songs I'll be playing in church on Sunday one more time.

As much work as it is so get everything clean around the house ... I love it! I love feeling prepared for the week. And it's wonderful to have 6 little helping hands. I love teaching the boys responsibility, and how to properly clean their surroundings. Our Saturday Clean Up never goes without complaints and some grumblings from the children. But those are pretty short lived. The boys know their chores, and they do them.

We don't have the house spic-and-span, but we do our best. Actually, we haven't had everything "perfect" since Thanksgiving. But we're getting there again. With the busy holiday season, decorations up everywhere you looked, guests coming to visit, and activities to put together in addition to the normal hustle and bustle - we haven't really stood a chance. I can't begin to explain how nice it is to have our home coming together again. I secretly can't wait until Spring Break, when I get to go through the house and get rid of all those little things that aren't wanted or needed anymore. You know ... the clothes that are outgrown, toys that aren't played with anymore, decor that is no longer liked/used, furniture that just seems to take up too much space. It's one of the most refreshing times of the year.

Anyway, I love Saturday's. I get to spend the day with my children. We get to make our home more beautiful together. It's a great feeling at the end of the day. It is definitely one of those days that I actually feel as though I accomplished something.

Saturday really is a special day.

0 comments from people we love: